Pages

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Jane Eyre {Review}

I had this posted on my other blog so I thought I would transfer it to here.


One of my resolutions for 2012 is to read at least 20 books. So I begin this resolution with Jane Eyre.

Before I started this book, I had watched the newest movie version on Netflix, and after that I just had to read the book! Now, I love reading, but this book threw me a challenge.

First off, the style of writing is WAY different from the normal books I read. Since this was published in 1847, the "English" writing style, was a challenge for me. But with that being said that was about the only hard part of the book for me.

Once I started reading it, I could not put it down. I was so enthralled with the book. Any spare moment I could get, I had this book in my hands. I was determine to finish it within the week. And so I did.

The story itself, is a classic. Poor, plain, Jane has a rough upbringing. Her parents fall ill and pass away when she was just little. Jane is sent to live with her next of kin, and after her uncle dies her mean,cruel Aunt is to take of her.

Some years later, she is sent to Lowood School and stays there till she is 'of age' At this point in time, she meets Mr Rochester. A moody, secretive, temperamental man. She is hired to be a governess to little Adele. But soon finds she is falling the the mysterious Mr. Rochester.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. The love, the heartache, the struggle is what makes this book fantastic. While at times I felt slightly bored, there were more times of being completely captivated by this book. Charlotte Bronte's vivid writing style, captures you and keeps you reading.

A fairly tale book without the fairy tale characters.

"Do you think I can stay to become nothing to you? Do you think I am an automaton? -a machine without feelings? and can bear to have my morsel of bread snatched from my lips, and my drop of living water dashed from my cup? Do you think, because I am poop, obscure, plain and little, I am soulless and heartless? - You think wrong!- I have as much soul as you, - and full as much heart!And if God had gifted me with some beauty, and much wealth, I should have made is as hard for you to leave me, as it is now for me to leave you"

Charlotte Bronte's, Jane Eyre is a must read classic. You won't be able to put it down till the very end.


5/5

Much love
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment